Match Report: Frome Town 2-0 Yate Town

Frome Town 2 Yate Town 0

Ollis 68, Simpson 83

After a three week break due to the weather and a blank Saturday Yate Town returned to action for what on paper was one of their toughest games of the season at second placed Frome Town who have an excellent home record having not lost at home in the League all season. The game was played on a heavy pitch which reduced the chances of playing flowing football as both sides had to adapt to the conditions and it was the home side, with two second half goals, that bagged the points.

Yate Town manager, Darren Mullings, brought in new signing Wayne Nderemani, for this debut, into the starting line up with Calum English-Brown on the bench, following his recent injury and new signing Chris Lines also a substitute.

The first half had few chances and with Frome Town kicking down the slope it was inevitable that the Bluebells would be under periods of pressure during this time. Yate Town’s defence was well organised and they restricted the home side to a limited number of chances. Aaron Sainsbury saved well from Jon Davies, tipping his effort over the bar following a free kick on the edge of the Yate Town penalty area after 34 minutes and Sainsbury was again called into action four minutes later when he managed to smother Kane Simpson’s close-range effort.

Aaron Sainsbury tips a Jon Davies free kick over the bar during the first half.

The only real chance that Yate engineered was in the 23rd minute when Nderemani found space on the edge of the penalty area but dragged his shot wide of the post.

Wayne Nderemani shoots from the edge of the penalty area in the first half but is just off target.

Kicking down the slope Yate Town dominated the opening period of the second half playing with the fluidity that we know they can but despite this were unable to fashion a real chance apart from when Nderemani missed his shot from about 10 yards out.

Nick McCootie is surrounded by Frome Town defenders in the second half

Mullings brought on Chris Lines for Finley Bell and soon after also replaced Oli Jenkins with Dan Dempsey and Dylan Lewis with Calum English-Brown to try to press home the advantage of their territorial superiority.

Chris Lines in action after coming on early in the second half to make his debut for Yate Town.

However, a defensive mistake changed the game as a misplaced pass then led to Frome Town breaking away and James Ollis raced through to finish firing his well-placed shot past Aaron Sainsbury after 68 minutes.

Frome made the game safe when Kane Simpson scored from a narrow angle seven minutes from time.

This was as game that confirmed how good the top two teams are in this division (Yate having played leaders Wimborne a month ago) but also that Yate Town, who are in the process of building, are also not to far away in a League were there is at times little to choose between most of the clubs and where anyone can beat anyone on the day.

Next Saturday, Yate Town are home to Bishops Cleeve, which is Non-league Day and the club’s Student Day too. With 7 games to go there is still much to play for before the curtain finally comes down on this season.

Next Saturday the club will also be holding a bucket collection for the family of ex-Yate Town player, Scott Hendy, who sadly passed away recently.

Frome Town: Phillips, Teale, Mitchell, Davies (Meakes 78), Rigg (Wood 85), Simpson, Drew (Monks 56), Budd, Maidment, Heal, Ollis.

Unused subs: Staley, Taylor

Bookings: Rigg (84)

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor, Byrne, McMillan, Baker, Guest, Bell (Lines 55), Jenkins (Dempsey 65), Nderemani, McCootie, Lewis (English-Brown 65)

Unused subs: Ball, Hall

Bookings: Bryne (45), Lewis (49) McMillan (50)

Referee: Martin Bloor

Attendance: 571