Match Report: Tavistock 1-1 Yate Town

Tavistock AFC 1 Yate Town 1

Prynn 58             Taylor 82

Yate Town finished their season with a third consecutive draw in an entertaining game in West Devon with both teams playing just for pride. It was Tavistock’s fourth game in eight days having beaten champions Wimborne 3-2 the previous Tuesday, but Yate can count themselves very unfortunate not to pick all three points as they dominated large parts of the game.

Yate Town manager, Darren Mullings, made one change bringing back James Taylor at right back with Dan Dempsey on the bench.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors with Wayne Nderemani missing a golden opportunity from six yards, following a cross from Nick McCcootie and as Yate dominated McCootie and Calum English-Brown both fired over from good positions.

Wayne Nderemani shoots wide after 4 minutes.

The one-way traffic continued in the opening half-hour as Nick McCootie hit the bar and Joe Guest had a penalty appeal waved aside by the referee.

The first half finished with possession more even but the home side were unable to trouble Aarron Sainsbury in the Yate Town goal.

This Nick McCootie’s effort hit the crossbar after 28 minutes.

Tavistock started the second half brightly but despite winning three corners in quick succession could not create a clear-cut chance. However, following a break away in the 58th minute Tavistock’s leading goal scorer Liam Prynn managed to fire home from 20 yards with an excellent finish.

Yate Town manager, Darren Mullings, then made a triple substitution with James Byrne, Lewis Hall and Calum-English Brown being replaced by Dan Dempsey, Finley Bell and Dylan Lewis with Wayne Nderemani filling in a left back, Dan Dempsey at right back allowing James Taylor to push forward into midfield.

The result of these changes was instantaneous as Yate Town started to bombard the Tavistock goal.

An excellent break by Taylor, involving Dylan Lewis, led to a corner and from this Joe Guest had a header cleared of the line. McCootie then headed straight at Tavistock goalkeeper Aaron Dearing and Oli Jenkins fired home a thunderous shot from 20 years only for referee Darren Spong to disallow the goal for a handball.

Joe Guest’s heads for goal but this effort is cleared off the line.

With Yate Town pushing forward in numbers, Tavistock’s Ben Fowles shot wide and Iestyn Harris headed over the bar but Yate continued to pursue the equaliser which came after 82 minutes when Dylan Lewis fed Dan Dempsey whose fine pass to Taylor set up a chance on the right side to the penalty area and James Taylor drilled the ball past Darling to draw the scores level.

James Taylor scores Yate Town’s equaliser after 82 minutes.

As Yate Town searched for the winner Dylan Lewis fired over from 20 yards and Wayne Nderemani’s shot was turned over the bar by Dearing for a corner.

Then in stoppage time following a goal mouth mele James Taylor’s shot hit the bar and Wayne Nderemeni had a shot cleared off the line.

In the last moments of the game Tavistock broke away and a chance went begging as the ball was fired well over the bar but this would have been a real injustice if this had gone in.

Both teams can be proud of putting on such an entertaining performance in this final match of a long campaign but Yate were denied a victory, that their play deserved, by some incredible blocks and a large slice of luck for the home team.

So, after 36 League games Yate Town eventually finished in 8th position in the Southern League Division One South, which at Christmas would have seemed an impossible task but massive progress has taken place and if the form since then had been replicated throughout the season, then a play-off place would be almost certainly been assured. However, every game matters over a long season and all Yate Town fans will be looking for the current form to continue into next season when there will be 42 League games with an increased number of clubs in the division.

The final event of the season is the Player Presentation Evening on Friday 3rd May in the clubhouse from 6.30pm when all the awards will be handed out.

Tavistock AFC: Dearing, Cross, Endacott, Elkington, Burns, Harrison (Newton 78), Prynn, Fowles, Simmons (MacPherson 76), Cunningham, Harris

Unused sub: Bowker

Bookings: Harrison (37), Cross (50), Harris (76)

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor, Hall (Dempsey 59), McMillan, Baker, Guest, Byrne (Bell 59), Jenkins, English-Brown, (Lewis 59), McCootie, Nderemani.

Unused sub: Sage

Bookings: None

Yate Town Man of the Match: James Taylor

Referee: Darren Spong

Attendance: 187