Match Report: Yate Town 0-1 Bishops Cleeve

Yate Town 0 Bishops Cleeve 1

                                  Malshanskyj 10

Non-League Day at the South West Interiors Stadium saw a good crowd of 433 witness a game where the away team scored early on and then defended stubbornly throughout to end up taking all three points as Yate Town just could not find a way to break through a well organised defence, who rode their luck at times and whose goalkeeper had an inspired afternoon.

Yate Town manager, Darren Mullings made a couple of changes from the team that lost to promotion contenders Frome Town last Saturday bringing Lewis Hall into the left back slot and new signing Chris Lines into midfield, with James Bryne and Finley Bell now on the bench.

With both teams hoping for a win to enhance their play-off hopes in a highly congested Southern League Division One South table, the first action of the game came in the 7th minute when Wayne Nderemani’s cross from the left was met by Nick McCootie whose effort just cleared the crossbar. It was just three minutes later when the only goal of the game came when a move down the right by Bishops Cleeve saw a right-wing cross go beyond the Yate Town defence but Jay Malshanskyj collected the ball and cut in from the left to fire a shot past Aaron Sainsbury in the home goal.

Chris Lines in action during the first half.

Then on 28 minutes a free kick about 30 yards out was taken by Toby Holland and Sainsbury reacted well to turn the ball over the crossbar.

Yate responded and in the 35th minute a flowing move down the right saw Lewis and McCootie combine superbly and a fierce shot by Ndermani was well saved by Bishop’s Cleeve goalkeeper Lewis Clayton. Yate now piled on the pressure and Taylor’s shot brought a great save from Clayton and from the corner Joe Guest’s shot was blocked but nothing came of the resultant corner.

In first half stoppage time Guest then had an effort cleared off the line and moments later, following a mazy run by Oli Jenkins, the referee awarded a penalty to Yate following what appeared to be a handball. Nick McCootie stepped up to take the penalty but his shot brought a flying save from Clayton, diving down to his left.

With this opportunity spurned the Bluebells came out for the second half looking for the equaliser but Bishops Cleeve were determined to protect their lead and were occasionally dangerous on the break and it was from one of these that on 58 minutes Ethan Dunbar found himself free in the penalty area but his tame effort went wide of the post.

Wayne Nderemani looks to beat a defender during the second half.

With Calum English-Brown on for Dylan Lewis Yate again surged forward and Clayton saved well from Jenkins twice and from Nderemani and then in the 74th minute Nderemani’s lopping, deflected shot hit the post and the crowd had the feeling that it was just not going to be Yate Town’s day.

Bishops Cleeve were able to find spaces in the Yate Town defence as the home side pushed forward and the visitors had a chance after a mix up in the home defence and shortly afterwards substitute Issac Pierce brought a good save from Sainsbury when he broke clear on the left.

Nderemani had another shot saved by Clayton and Yate Town’s final chance came to substitute Jack Ball who just failed to make contact with the ball and the opportunity was gone.

This was an extremely frustrating afternoon for Darren Mullings’ side who on another day might have scored enough goals to win the game as the chances were there but they came up against a team who had a game plan which worked well for them especially after scoring that early goal.

The Bluebells slip to 11th place in the tightly packed table with so few points separating a host of teams will be looking forward to picking up points at Westbury United on Good Friday and when they entertain Paulton Rovers on Easter Monday.

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor (Byrne 88), Lewis, McMillan, Baker, Guest, Lines, Jenkins (Ball 79), Nderemani, McCootie, Lewis (English-Brown 51)

Unused subs: Bell, Dempsey

Bookings: McMillan (80), Guest (90+5)

Bishops Cleeve: Clayton, Emery, Turner, Dovey, Nelmes, Holland, Sunley (Selman), Haskayne (Davies 49), Dunbar, Langworthy, Malshanskyj (Pierce 73)

Unused subs: Scott, Soule

Bookings: Sunley (45), Davies (59), Dovey (86)

Yate Town Man of the Match: Wayne Nderemani

Referee: Josh Brookland

Attendance: 433