Match Report: Yate Town 3-0 Paulton Rovers

Yate Town 3 Paulton Rovers 0

Martin (og) 13, McCootie 21, 56

Yate Town made it six points out of six during the Easter period and moved up to 6th place in the Southern League Division One South table with four games to go before the end of the season.

Again, credit must be given to the ground staff at the club, and not for the first time this season, after much rain the night before and just prior to kick-off, their efforts were not in vain and the game could go ahead.

Paulton Rovers were anchored at the bottom of the table whilst Yate Town, along with many clubs in a tightly packed table, were looking at a possible play-off place as the season entered its final month.

Yate Town manager, Darren Mullings made just one change from the side that won at Westbury on Good Friday, bringing back fit again Calum English-Brown into the starting line up with Dylan Lewis on the bench.

The visitors, who included three ex-Yate Town players in their starting line-up, started brightly in the opening minutes but after 7 minutes, Yate’s James Taylor’s shot was blocked and went behind for a corner following good work from Calum English-Brown and Oli Jenkins down the right. Butcher’s shot from distance tested Aaron Sainsbury in the home goal but in the 13th minute Wayne Nderemani broke down the left and his cross was turned into his own net by Paulton full-back Neil Martin at the far post.

Oli Jenkins then fired over from inside the penalty area as Yate Town applied strong pressure on the visitor’s goal. Following a foul on English-Brown and the resulting Chris Lines free-kick after 21 minutes, Nick McCootie hooked the ball home to put Yate Town two up.

Nick McCootie puts Yate Town 2-0 up despite the close attention of the Paulton defenders.

A Chris Lines free kick that visiting goalkeeper Frankie Phillips failed to hold resulted in a goalmouth scramble before being cleared and a fierce shot from Taylor was punched clear by Phillips whilst McCootie went close with a header as Yate Town went looking for a third goal.

The first half saw a number of bookings with Ewan McMillan booked after 12 minutes followed by Paulton’s Chris Peck, David Restorick and Joe Hall. An injury to Paulton’s Edward Butcher led to heated exchanges on the touch line from the Paulton bench and their manager Richard Fey was cautioned by the referee and then shown an immediate red card for something he said whilst the injured Butcher was replaced by Daniel Cottle.

Oli Jenkins shoots for goal during the first half.

Ewan McMillan was replaced by Dan Dempsey just before half-time and both Cottle and Leighton Thomas shot straight at Aaron Sainsbury when well placed. In added time a Chris Lines free kick from just outside the penalty area smashed against the crossbar before being cleared.

The players had to work hard on a heavy pitch but there was still more goalmouth action in the second half. On 49 minutes Joe Guest’s 20 yard shot just cleared the crossbar before Nick McCootie scored after 56 minutes, his shot going in via a post and goalkeeper Phillips.

Nick McCootie scores to put Yate Town 3-0 up.

Paulton’s Bradley Norris headed wide from a corner, Joe Hall’s shot was deflected for a corner and Norris shot straight at Sainsbury as the visitors looked for a consolation goal, whilst Dempsey, Calum-

Brown and substitute James Bryne went close for Yate and the ever-dangerous Leighton Thomas twice forced Sainsbury into saves.

Dan Dempsey in action during the second half with James Taylor in support.

This was another solid performance from Yate Town and with the final four game of the season coming up, all against teams looking to secure a play-off place, the last month of the season looks like it will be an eventful and exciting time for Yate Town fans.

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor, Lewis, McMillan (Dempsey 43), Baker, Guest, Lines (Bryne 77), Jenkins, English-Brown, McCootie, Nderemani (Lewis 65)

Unused subs: Bell, Hillier

Bookings: McMillan (12), Guest (48),

Paulton Rovers: Hill, Dancey, Martin, Peck (Lenihan 73), Hewlett, Restorick, Murgatroyd, Hall, Thomas, Norris (McBean 68), Butcher (Cottle 37)

Unused subs: Langlais, Eglin

Bookings: Peck (15), Restorick (21), Hall (27), Dancey (53)

Yate Town Man of the Match: Nick McCootie

Referee: Thomas Staten

Attendance: 313