Match Report: Yate Town 5-1 Tavistock

Match Report

Yate Town 5-1 Tavistock

Whoever said January was a miserable month, well it wasn’t the Yate Town players, management and supporters, who have seen their team go unbeaten in seven games, the last five of which have all been won. Since the defeat at Paulton on Boxing Day, a game we should have won easily but for some wasteful finishing, bad luck and good goalkeeping, we have collected 17 points which has propelled the team up the table and on to the fringe of the play-off places.

The game saw the welcome return of Toby Raison to Yate Town, and he was immediately included in the team with Mike Baker injured and Dan Dempsey not 100%.

Tavistock arrived at Lodge Road on the back of three wins, but on the night were no match for the rampant Bluebells. Front foot football, pressing in packs gave Tavvy no oxygen to get into the game. Yate made several early opportunities but had to wait until the 15th minute to opening the scoring. Oli Jenkins was released through the middle, he shrugged off a defender and slotted his shot past the goalkeeper and Yate were on their way.

Oli Jenkins opening the scoring with a side footed strike

Nick McCootie leading the line, was next on the score sheet, following combination play between Calum English-Brown and Jenkins, whose pass enable McCootie to get the better of defender and shoot across the goalkeeper into the left-hand corner of the net. 2-0 after 25 minutes.
Long range shots from Dylan Lewis and James Byrne flew over the Tavvy bar, as our opponents began to get some passes going, but they never really threatened Aaron Sainsbury in goal. In the 42nd minute Yate scored again. Another move down the right-hand side between James Taylor, Jenkins and English-Brown, saw a shot from Taylor deflected into the net for an own goal; James Taylor might disagree!

Yate began the second half fast and increased their lead with another McCootie goal after 52 minutes. Nick managed to evade the attention of two Tavvy defenders inside the area and depsite his first shot being saved, the deflection fell kindly to the striker who managed to find the back of the net from a tight angle.

McCootie scoring his second goal of the afternoon

Nick McCootie scoring his second goal of the afternoon

Then five minutes later, the pick of the Yate goals, as English-Brown after beating three defenders curled a superb shot into the top left corner of the net to make it 5-0.

At this point manager Mullings decided to use his bench which saw Bell, McCootie and Jenkins replaced and as consequence some rhythm was lost, but Lewis was unlucky to see his shot hit the post in what could have been a replica of the English-Brown goal had it found the back of the net.

Tavvy managed to pull one goal back through a spectacular effort from Alex Battle on 72 minutes, their first shot on goal, but that was as good as it got for them. Yate successfully managed the remainder of the game out, still looking the more likely to add to their tally than their opponents.

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor, Byrne, McMillan, Raison, Guest, Bell (Hall), Jenkins (Ball), English-Brown, McCootie (Lewis-Hillier) and Lewis.
Unused subs: Dempsey and Mullings
Goal scorers: Jenkins (25), McCootie (25 and 52), English-Brown (57) and o.g. (42)

Man of the Match: Nick McCootie