Yate Town 3-0 Bemerton Heath Harlequins – Match Report

Match report
Yate Town 3 Bemerton Heath Harlequins 0

McCootie 7, English-Brown 32, Jenkins 51

Yate Town secured an emphatic win over top six side Bemerton Herath Harlequins with an inspired display that thrilled all home fans and the management team. Manager, Darren Mullings, was able to keep the same side that defeated Larkhall Athletic 4-1 on Tuesday evening.

The teams came on to the pitch but moments before kick-off the referee realised that Bemerton’s kit, their home kit was too much like Yate Town’s, so the Bluebells players returned to the dressing room to change into their away kit to solve the problem, as Bemerton had no other kit with them.

After a four-minute delay the game, played on a crisp and sunny winter’s afternoon, got underway and the hosts were soon putting the Bemerton defence under pressure. After just five minutes English-Brown’s teasing centre from the right across the face of the goalmouth evaded everyone but Yate were not to be denied as they took the lead two minutes later. Finley Bell and Calum English-Brown combined on the right and there ensued an almighty goalmouth scramble before Nick McCootie forced the ball over the line.

Nick McCootie about to score to put Yate Town in the lead after 7 minutes.

McCootie then fired over the bar and English-Brown was brought down on the edge of the penalty area after 22 minutes but the resultant free kick came to nothing. The goal of the game was scored ten minutes later when English-Brown gained possession on the right and cut inside and then with a wonderfully accurate strike with his left foot he found the top corner of the net giving visiting goalkeeper Patrick Creese little chance of saving.

Calum English-Brown shoots to score his first goal for Yate Town and to put the Bluebells 2-0 up.

Bemerton offered little in attack as the home defence was compact and organised with just a couple of the vistitors efforts going off target.

As the first half drew to a close Yate continued to apply more pressure and McCootie set up Ollie Jenkins whose shot was blocked inside the penalty area.

The second half started in the same vein and after 51 minutes Yate Town extended their lead with a flowing move down the right involving James Taylor, English-Brown and McCootie before Ollie Jenkins scored his first goal for the club, shooting home from six yards.

Ollie Jenkins in action during the first half.

Nick McCootie had an excellent chance to increase the lead on 69 minutes but the ball bobbled wildly as he shot and his effort flew well over the bar.

Darren Mullings made changes to his side bringing on three of his substitutes during the second half and Bemerton started to have more possession but never threated Aaron Sainsbury in the home goal. Dylan Lewis had a shot well saved by Creese and after another flowing move English-Brown’s effort was spectacularly cleared off the line by a Bemerton defender. The Yate Town defence this time ensured that the visitors did not get a consolation goal, as they did on Tuesday evening.

This was an all-round, excellent performance by the Bluebells with the new players settling in and having a massive impact on the squad and everyone playing their part in this result.

The Bluebells travel to Cornwall next Saturday to play Mousehole and will be looking to extend their recent form of late to add more points to their total so far.

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor, Byrne, McMillan, Dempsey, Guest, Bell (Peck 61), Jenkins (Murgatroyd 71), English-Brown, McCootie (Ball 76), Lewis.
Unused subs: Hillier, Evans
Booked: None

Bemerton Heath Harlequins: Creese, Rayfield, Ward, Holmes (Teixeirs Batis 39), Higgins, Kpohormouh, Britton, Biss (Jatta 60), Panesar-Dower, Green (Nixon 71), Young.
Unused subs: Johnson, Lander
Booked: Biss (45), Rayfield (65), Higgins (80)

Referee: Stacey Pearson
Attendance: 234
Yate Town Man of the Match: Calum English-Brown – Chosen by Match Sponsors Dad’s vs Dad’s