Yate Town 4-1 Exmouth Town – Match Report

Ryan Hillier & Callum Hutton Celebrate

Yate Town 4 Exmouth Town 1
J. Hall (6), Lewis (24), Oputeri (26), Hillier (83) Steer 28

Yate Town served up a delight for the fans who attended their Pay Want You Want fixture. With a pitch inspection having taken place at 9.30am, after a period of wet weather, it was a relief to everyone that the game could go ahead, following the outstanding work of the grounds team.
Manager Darren Mullings made just one change from the team that won at Melksham with Chris Peck staring in place of Joe Cattermole, who was on the bench.
With the pre-match crowd having enjoyed the activities that the club had put on, the match got off to a sparkling start with Yate Town racing into a 3-0 lead. After 6 minutes, Joe Hall tried his luck with a speculative shot from 30 yards which deceived Exmouth Town goalkeeper Robert Powell and went in off the post. Exmouth responded with a header from Aaron Denny that went just over the bar but Yate continued to pose problems for the visitors and on 24 minutes Dylan Lewis cut in from the left and curled a superb right footed shot into the top corner of the Exmouth goal, with Powell well beaten, to double Yate’s lead.

Dylan Lewis Scores

It got even better for the home two minutes later when Brendon Oputeri scored his first goal for the club – and what a goal it was! He cut in from the right and then from 25 yards curled a left footed shot in off the underside of the bar.

Brandon Oputeri Shooting

However, Exmouth Town responded immediately and Ben Steer scored with a fine shot that went in off the underside of the bar. Amazingly in the first 28 minutes there were four goals of which three went in off the woodwork……. the crowd of 464, Yate Town’s biggest of the season, being well entertained.

The second half saw Exmouth Town, despite their lowly position in the League table, responding well and Yate Town were put under pressure but despite winning a number of corners the home defence stood firm with Aaron Sainsbury making some good saves. It was during this period that Exmouth manager Kevin Hill was sent of by the referee.

Yate did however make a number of chances with both Callum Hutton and Ryan Hillier going close and with 7 minutes of normal time remaining it was Hillier who broke clear of the Exmouth defence and slotted his shot coolly past Powell, for his first goal for the club.


Then perhaps the save of the game came in injury time as Sainsbury athletically tipped an effort form an Exmouth player over the bar.

This was another good performance by the Bluebells who thoroughly deserved their victory and confidence is growing within the squad that, in a very tight division when there were a number of unexpected results on the day, that Yate Town can make further progress and be looking towards the upper reaches of the table.

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Larvin, Dempsey (Pashen 59), Anderson, Parsons, Peck, Oputeri (Bell 50), J. Jall (Cattermole), Hillier, Hutton, Lewis. Unused subs: Brown, Bryne

Exmouth Town: Powell, Rowe, M. Landricombe, Gardner (Field 77), High, Denny, Morrison, Iscguan, Steer (Slater 71), L. Landricombe (Harris 68), Shipton. Unused sub: Cann

Bookings: Yate Town: Oputeri (36) Exmouth Town: Morrison (47)

Referee: James Tewson

Attendance: 464

Man of the Match: Ryan Hillier (Sponsored by Mark Sage)

Ryan Hillier MOTM