Yate Town 4-1 Larkhall Athletic – Match Report

Match Report
Yate Town 4 Larkhall Athletic 1

Guest (45+2), McCootie (54), Taylor (57), Ball (74)                Regula (88)

On a as freezing cold night the 185 people who braved the conditions were served up a treat as a rampaging Yate Town warmed the hearts of home supporters.

Yate manager, Darren Mullings, added new striker Nick McCootie in place of Milo Murgatroyd from the starting line up at Malvern on Saturday and after a quiet start, as both sides came to grips with the conditions, it was the home side, through a fierce Ewan McMillian shot over the bar on 27 minutes that things really came to life.

Larkhall responded and Dawid Regula then shot straight at Aaron Sainsbury in the home goal before a James Taylor’s shot was deflected for a corner and then Ollie Jenkins robbed a Larkhall defender on the by line and his angled shot was saved at the near post by Larkhall goalkeeper Jack Scrivens.

With 2 minutes added time signalled it was Yate Town who finally struck. A good move down the left saw Dylan Lewis send over a cross into the box and despite this being partially cleared Joe Guest was on hand to fire the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards. The enthusiasm and celebration shown by this local player was evident for all to see.

The second half saw the home side dominant and a flowing move down the left saw a wonderful touch by McCootie as he sent Dylan Lewis away and Lewis then chose the perfect time and pass to send in Nick McCootie to slot the ball cooly away for his first goal for the club, on his debut.

It got even better for the home side as three minutes later a fast break down the right ended up with an interchange of passes that allowed James Taylor to fire home

James Taylor scores his first goal for the club putting Yate Town 3-0 up after 57 minutes. 

Yate continued to apply more pressure and Calum English-Brown brought a great save from Scrivens before substitute Jack Ball found time and space to fire home from just inside the penalty area after 74 minutes.

Nick McCootie in possession during the second half of the game.

Yate then seemed to settle for this 4-0 lead and as Larkhall looked for a consolation goal the Bluebells defence, which had been in fine form, allowed Dawid Regula too much time and space as he fired home on 88 minutes.

This was an outstanding performance from Yate Town that moves them up the table. The three new signings each scored a goal and with Bemerton the visitors on Saturday everyone associated with the club will be hoping for back-to-back wins.

Yate Town: Sainsbury, Taylor, Byrne, McMillan, Dempsey, Guest, Bell, Jenkins (Peck 70), English-Brown (Evans (68), McCootie (Ball 70), Lewis
Unused subs: Hillier, Murgatroyd
Booked: None

Larkhall Athletic: Scrivens, Goodall, Dymond-Hall, Boulton, Graham, Mortimer-Taylor (Cannings 72), Lambert (Pritchard 67), Williams, Regula, Ferris (Milne 80), Camm
Unused sub: Bradley
Booked: Regula (80)

Referee: Andy Sheppard
Attendance: 185

Yate Town Man of the Match: James Taylor